Sunday, September 9, 2012

Thoughts on NYC so far

It is great to be here. The first few days were hard. I must admit I was overwhelmed thinking about how much I was going to have to learn before feeling completely comfortable here. At times I pondered how nice it would be just to be able to get in my car and go for a drive. But this is my life now. I do not have a car and don't want to drive through town. I did drive into town and to return the rental car. Wow, was that fun! My creative driving definitely came in handy. Who knew you could cross those double yellow lines into on coming traffic and stop in the middle of an intersection?!? And everyone double parks here. It was crazy but I was glad to do it. Check that off of my bucket list!

I'm getting the hang of the subway system with help from my cousin and the hand dandy maps that she has. We get to where we need to be and even on time sometimes! I am also learning to cross the street whenever I want. Who needs that little walking man anyway?

Our apt is good. It is on the fourth floor and it was quite a trick getting it all up here. I am so grateful our building has an elevator! Roommates are good. It's nice sharing a room with my cousin even if I do sleep on a blow up mattress. My comforter and pillow finally arrived the other day. Thanks Mom and Dad! Now I can sleep and keep warm. Those sweatshirts I was using as blankets just weren't doing it for me. I would get up and turn the AC off for a while and then turn it back on when I got to hot. Not sure my cousin appreciated that as she was comfortable in her sleeping bag on the bed. We are looking for bunk beds, hopefully we'll get some soon...

Been to church twice now. We love our ward. Quite a change from my ward in Utah. It is a good change for me, definitely something I need. There are quite a few people there in the entertainment industry. This is great news! Connections! Also went to the Manhattan Temple last Friday. That was really neat. So amazing that it is right in the middle of the city. You would never know it from the inside.

Gone jogging in Central Park twice, hoping to go tomorrow. That park is amazingly huge! I am glad I found my way out. Every time I go I discover a new area. Spent Labor Day riding bikes on Governor's Island. That was beautiful! Also went on a tour of Castle Williams, a fort built in 1811. Very cool.
Still feeling like a tourist!
It cost about $7.50 to do my laundry last week. That was a little disappointing but I'll get used to it and having to lug it three blocks to the laundromat. Now I know why some people smell they are just trying to save money and I can't blame them! And food, well, that's another story. My cousin and I have enjoyed trying all of the little places to eat. Not sure it's so good on the wallet though. I guess I will find that out at the end of the month when I add up all of my expenses! No we did grocery shop yesterday. We didn't even have to use our extra big bags we brought but could just use the regular plastic bags as we carried them the three blocks to our apt.
Yum, cheesecake!

Enjoying Cheesecake at Grand Central Station.


Needless to say, I am happy and have learned to embrace city life. No regrets here! Sorry about my poor grammar and constant switching of tenses. What can I say? It's a talent I have!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to every day life in New York City! You'll be a pro in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have your cousin there! Fun to be in a new place but lonely if you don't have someone to share it with. The first several times we went to the city I hung onto Joel for dear life. He had lived there before and knew his way around. Didn't take long before I could take my kids in by myself. You will be a pro before long! It is a very exciting city! And when you need a break from it let me know and I will hook you up with people from our ward in NJ. Beautiful state, not far from Manhattan and wonderful people. Lots of people live there and commute to the city. It would be a fun place to visit and explore.

    ReplyDelete