Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sights, Sounds and Smells of NYC

I have seen some weird things since I have been in NYC. I thought it would be fun to keep a running list. So here are the ones I remember so far....

1. Rats chasing each other on the train tracks. Ah, how sweet!

2. The rumble of an oncoming train. If it's above my head it sounds like a NASA rocket about to lift off. I like to count backwards and imagine I'm on it about to shoot into space! If the noise is coming from a train I'm about to board I plug my ears because it is so loud!

3. Something I like to call subway or train turbulence. At times the ride is very smooth and other times, most other times I wonder if we are on a track at all or just richocheting from side to side as we speed through the tunnel. I love the subway. I feel like I am riding inside a huge earthworm as it plows through the dirt.

4. The loud noise of the subway down below my apartment window that I didn't think would bother me because I am a heavy sleeper but does keep me awake at times.

5. The man I passed in the park as I was jogging. He was casually smoking weed as he walked through the park.

6. The endless smell of cigarettes. I am not in Kansas anymore.

7. I am amazed at how high the smell of cigarettes can climb. We opened our window the other night to enjoy the clean, crisp fall air and sure enough got some second hand smoke along with it. Yum! Then the other night it was a little different smelling...

8. Brenda, my cousin, saw a woman vomit in the train tracks. Sorry I missed that one.

9. Then there was a man peeing in the streets as he was walking. I guess he didn't think anyone would notice because it was raining? Brenda and I braved the rain to get some Chinese food. On our way back we noticed this guy walking in front of us, with a little more rain on one side of him than the other. I don't know how else to say it. All of the sudden he zipped up his pants and it stopped. Nice to know this is not just water we are sloshing through in our sandals. We just both looked at each other and said, "really? Did he just do that?" I am not sure if this is a Harlem thing or a NYC thing but it's pretty gross. I have heard the homeless do this but this guy didn't look homeless but who am I to judge? There are sides near the greenery at the base of the trees that say "Curb your animals" that means don't let them pee here, right? I am pretty sure it's not the animals we need to worry about!

10. I have also noticed that men do not casually glance at women as they walk by but stare at them. They do the full head turn, follow the woman for several seconds as she passes them. I know I am not in Utah anymore or Kansas for that matter but come on. You can't make it anymore obvious than they do! It's a little creepy. Once again, is this a Harlem thing or a NYC thing, I am not sure.

11. Watched a man try to squeeze into a subway car that was already full of people. The door started to close but he was determined. A man outside helped by pushing him in as the door was closing. Sure enough, he was able to fit. It reminded me of how you try and stuff your suitcase while packing, zipping it up and poking the clothes in with your hand so you can finishing zipping it. It was very funny, made me laugh!

12. This happened in Hoboken, NJ but close enough. As we were walking through the park we saw some parents help their son pee in a plastic bag which ok is weird but not unheard of but imagine our surprise as watched the parents turn him around and hold me so he could poop in the bag! What! I am sorry I know I'm not a parent but that is a little weird. It gave us all a good laugh!

13. The other night we were walking home from a church activity and a trash bag started to move. Something was inside! Probably a rat. It was very creepy.

14.  Saw a man playing the violin in the subway a week or so ago. The classical music was beautiful. He was being accompanied by a recording. It was so fun to watch the people around him. Their bodies were facing him, they formed a circle around him. The mood was peaceful and calm. People were quiet, listening. It was quite a contrast to the loud inappropriate rap music that some sing and dance to in the subway. People ignore them, wish they weren't there. The feeling is anything but peaceful. Music is so powerful! It can definitely draw us closer to our Heavenly Father, even in a subway station!

15. Discovered a new use for my umbrella (that you must carry with you at all times in NYC). I can stick it in the closing door of the subway instead of an arm or leg. This way the door reopens and I can safely enter. Often times I've wanted to stick a limb in so I can get on the train but I am kind of hesitant. What if the door doesn't open and the train starts to move? I don't want to risk a limb, I kind of like the ones I've got, but an umbrella? That can always be replaced!

7 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. Welcome to NYC! It's amazing at what becomes "normal" after you've lived here longer (you know, like all of 4 months, haha). It just becomes part of everyday in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It's scary to think of what won't bother me after living here for years. Hahaha!

      Delete
    2. Exactly. When you ride Trax in SLC and you don't have a group of kids dancing on the train as you head downtown, you'll wonder what's wrong. ;)

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. A few others to add to your list: 1) Getting used to the smells that permeate the street--eg the mixture of urine, garbage, and food from the street vendors; and 2) When you walk by a garbage bag that's moving unphazed because you figure it's just a rat doing its thing....

      :)

      Delete
  2. Awe...how fun! Sounds very wonderful and exciting!! Can't wait to see what else you add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a good list going there Liz! We'll add some more by and by... Not to mention in a year or so when you go back and read through this and count the things you don't even notice any more!! (That's the stage I'm at) LoL..
    Oh, and just wait, with winter ahead, there are some new "joys" for you to experience... ha ha ha...

    ReplyDelete