Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tap Classes

I have always wanted to learn how to tap dance. Unfortunately, that was one type of dance I never took as a kid. Big mistake, especially if you want to do musical theater! At the time I didn't know that's what I wanted. Needless to say I am playing catch up now. Monday morning I took a Basic Tap class at the Broadway Dance Center. Basic is supposed to be even slower than beginners so I thought I would be ok. Nope! Wow, it was hard and humiliating! I have never felt so uncoordinated in my whole life! I know I looked retarded too! I muddled through. The teacher was nice but wow, I don't think that was a basic class. I think I need the class with the six year olds in it. I tried to have fun and not get discouraged. I wanted to take a ballet class afterwards just to boost my ego back up.

But I thought I would just try a different studio so Tuesday night I went to the Alvin Ailey Extension and took another basic tap class. This one was much slower. The teacher was amazing! I understood everything she taught, doesn't mean I could do it but I could try! I actually did alright. It was also a lot more fun. I think I have found my class! We did this whole long routine that I could get about 75% of, not bad for the second class. At the end of the class we did these walks across the room. For some reason they were so hard! The teacher kind of looked at me in shock, unable to believe that I couldn't do them. It was awful but very funny at the same time. I felt like talking to my feet saying, "I'm telling you what to do! Why can't you do it???" It was embarrassing. But I think I will leave right after work and do my best to make it there next Tues. I can't wait to take the class again. I will learn to tap!

No comments:

Post a Comment