Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cattle Call!

Last Tuesday I went to the auditions for the national tour of Addams Family. They said they needed tango and flamenco dancers so I thought I might venture. Online it said it was a singing audition so I got all dressed up nice to sing. When I got there I found out we were dancing first! Usually that is done at callbacks. I had 25 min. to go home and change. I knew I wouldn't make it but I figured they would start late because there were hundreds of girls there, a true "cattle call". I arrived at 1:30 and added my name to the long list and waited for my turn. They were taking 30 girls at a time, then 45, and then because they were running out of time they took the last 70 all together. They taught us 12 counts of dancing, let us dance it three at a time and then the choreographer said "you and you stay and you thank you for coming." It was crazy! I was told thanks for coming. And the competition begins! So all that work for ten seconds of audition time! Ah, I love this profession! That is ok though there are tons of more auditions to come and I will be ready with music AND dancing shoes!

1 comment:

  1. I just auditioned to be a Christmas concert dancer and SO related with this. I thought I was doing pretty good, but there were just so many of us and I wasn't quite as good at soothing my nerves and memorizing the steps as quickly and smoothly as I should have. As a result, I was disappointed in myself when I got the "thanks for trying - come again next year" email. It's pretty agonizing to go back in your head and wish you could change the past. Good for you for focusing on the future with enthusiasm and optimism!

    ReplyDelete