Monday, September 10, 2012

The First of Many Auditions

Last Saturday I went to my first New York auditions. I was so nervous, wondering how it would compare with what I'd experienced in Utah. Would there be tons of people there? I think because I was auditioning for nonunion plays with no pay there were not many people there.

The first audition was for a dramatic play. I did one of my monologues. First time I have done a monologue audition. It went well, I think. Then they had me improvise an angry battered wife talking to her husband. That didn't go quite so well but it was a good experience.

The second audition was for a new musical so they were looking for people to do the workshop & present it to the investors. I think that is what they do. The posted audition notice didn't say anything about singing only reading sides. I thought that was strange for a musical so I came prepared to sing anyway. Glad I did because they wanted everyone to sing. I waited around for almost three hours before it was turn. Finally I went in and sang, "Fine, Fine Line" from Avenue Q. It was not so good. My nerves got the better of me. I am just not sure I was ever with the piano. I know he is supposed to follow me but I'm sure the poor guy was doing his best. It's kind of hard when the singer doesn't keep a steady beat! But the producers and directors were all really nice. I think there were some real big wigs in there, the writer of the show, the directors & producers of previous well known shows. Kind of cool I got to sing for them. They even let me read some sides for them after I sang. Funny, I wasn't nervous about this at all. It was actually fun! They said I did a good job too! Maybe they were just being nice but I thought it was sincere so I'll just believe them. That's it. I am an actress. Having said that, I do LOVE to sing. How can I do both, I mean sing without getting nervous? Anyway, it was tons of fun! I am so glad I did it.

My cousin came with me to both auditions. She helped me find the places, waited around with me and gave me pep talks. So nice! I like to call her my agent. She suggested that she audition right before me and then I would sound even better. I just laughed, what a thoughtful idea!

We celebrated my success by going out to eat of course! We had dinner at a restaurant that was on the third floor. We sat by the window and had a great view. My cousin even treated me to dinner. I am so blessed to have such a friend!

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Liz! I'm so proud of you! Your cousin sounds like a keeper!!! Is she pursuing dreams in NYC too or just along for the ride? Glad you have each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, my cousin just wanted to live in NYC so she just up and moved with me. She is happy that her job transferred so she didn't have to look for one when she got here. Life is good. I am glad I didn't have to move out here on my own! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Liz, I am SO excited for you! Keep us posted it is fun to hear all your adventures. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness Liz! How exciting for you! Way to live out your goals and dreams. I hope you make it big. I can't wait to hear all your fantastic stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the updates! I have been wondering how NYC was treating you. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I would be way too nervous to ever try anything like that. I am so impressed by your bravery...you go get 'em girl! :)

    ReplyDelete