Sunday, September 9, 2012

I made it!

I giggled as I walked down 8th Ave last night in the rain. Do I really live here? I can't believe it. I did it! I moved to NYC. Part of me has always wanted to live here but never really thought I could or would do it. But I'm here. The question remains, how long will I last? For all of my family members making bets I intend to stay indefinitely. I have faith things will work out, with a little help from family and friends of course!

I moved here to pursue acting, another pipe dream but that too will no doubt will become a reality just like moving to NYC. For all of you that are thinking I'm crazy, you are right! Michael Shurtleff, the famous casting director agrees with you. He said it himself in his book, Audition.

To go into acting is like asking for admission to an insane asylum. Anyone may apply, but only the certifiably insane are admitted. ...it's clear, right off the bat that from any rational point of view, to become an actor is an act of insanity. Why would one go into a profession in which it is night onto impossible to earn a living?

I've always thought it's better to give up sanity. Settle down and admit you're crazy or you wouldn't want to act. When you find out what acting is like and what the odds are, and you still persist, the proof of your own insanity is inescapable. Accept it. Most actors make themselves unhappy by searching for sanity, by insisting on their normalcy; it's a grave mistake. The life of an actor is a bit easier to take if you admit you're bonkers.

I love these passages and feel they are true for me.


Leaving Kansas!
We're here!
Crossing George Washington Bridge!



Here we are inside the car as we are crossing the bridge into NYC! (Note all of stuff in the back!)



2 comments:

  1. Oh I SO wish we were still there so I could show you some of my favorite things in NYC! You look great! So excited to read your blog and hear about your many adventures! Love you! Come see us in Texas anytime and if I make it back out to NJ to visit I will definitely let you know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Good for you Liz! I wish you all the luck...congrats on going for your dreams!!! :)

    ReplyDelete