Sunday, October 28, 2012

Play Review #1 Grace

Yesterday Brenda and I went to see the play, Grace playing at the Cort Theater. We just stumbled upon it on line. We saw that it starred Paul Rudd and Ed Asner and I thought it had to be good then. We bought "rush" tickets that morning. Rush tickets are cheaper usually because the view of the stage is partially obstructed. We sat in the front row! The stage was rather high so we had to look up but we were so close! It was amazing! We just weren't able to see from their knees down but in a straight play that is really not necessary. We could see their faces so well, the spit coming from their mouths as they said their lines, it was awesome! Ed Asner was especially good, so believable! And Michael Shannon was amazing as the angry neighbor with the smashed up face. I just want to see it again to see if it is as good the second time.

The play was amazing. It is about this religious couple who meet these two other people who don't believe in God because of the horrible things that happened to them. It was really intense. I am very willing to suspend my disbelief when it comes to theater. I really got into the play and was almost tired afterwards. It was a drama with a not so happy ending. It was about real life, real situations. I like those kind of plays and movies and would love to perform in them.

I am so impressed with writers or playwrights who create these stories and characters, that never before existed except in their imaginations. Then these lucky actors get to bring them to life for all the world to see.

Of course after the show we waited outside for the stars to come out the back door. Paul Rudd came first. He signed people's programs, including mine! and took pictures with everyone. Then he was ushered to his car by security. Next came the one female player, Kate Arrington. She was sweet and signed her name and posed for pictures also. The she left the crowd and walked down the street like everyone else. And that's the difference between a star movie star and a stage star. No one knows who you are when you just perform on stage. This is good and bad. Last came Ed Asner. He looked older and a little more tired than he did on stage so he did a limited amount of autographs and photos but he did sign mine! More than the signing it was nice to be able to tell the actors how much I enjoyed the show. Glad I got to do that. Michael Shannon did not come out but rather it seemed elected to stay at the theater and rest until the show that evening. This makes sense considering he had the most make up of anyone. I was bummed. It would've been nice to tell him how much I liked the show. I think the show goes until Jan. 6 so if you are ever in NYC I would highly recommend seeing it.









Me and the stars! Pretty cool! I know my hair is bad but I had just taken a ballet class that morning!


2 comments:

  1. that is awesome! you are living your dream:0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow so jealous girl! me and amanda want to come see you! so get to those auditions and land a role so we can come! :)

    ReplyDelete