Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy blew into NYC last week.  Life is slowly getting back to normal, hopefully the subways will be fully restored this week. I am grateful to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. Many of you called to see if my cousin and I were ok. We are doing fine.

At church last Sunday they told us that schools were cancelled the next day. They urged us all to be prepared with extra food, batteries, etc. We came home from church and did our normal Sunday things, talking on the phone with  family and napping. That afternoon I got a call that the gift shop would be closed on Monday. No work! I was excited! My acting class was cancelled as was my voice lesson on Tuesday. My other roommate's work was also cancelled. We live in Harlem up north kind of on a hill. It was very odd that everyone was so worried. We waited and waited for the storm to come but it never did. We got a little wind and a little rain but not much else. Growing up in Kansas I witnessed many more violent storms but we enjoyed the time off, watching TV, reading books and making cookies! It wasn't until Wed when we realized how bad the storm had hit New Jersey and other parts of NYC. We were sad to see all of the flooding and fires on the news. We were also grateful that we had not encountered any problems! We are blessed! My roommate was unable to go to work due to the lack of electricity in her building. My cousin works from home so no problem there! Ha, we finally found a disadvantage to working from home.

We did venture out to do a couple of errands on Wednesday, just the ones in walking distance. There were some buses running but no subways. Those going to work waited in line for hours for the buses which apparently couldn't make all the stops they were supposed to because they were so full of people! I am glad I didn't work on Wednesday or Thursday so I didn't have to mess with the buses. The city will survive. It will make it through. There were several clean up service projects going on yesterday. It would have been nice to have gone but I had to work. I hope and pray everyone gets electricity restore. It is getting colder and colder everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment