Saturday, February 8, 2014

Two Reviews: After Midnight and The Glass Menagerie

Over the past few weeks I have been able to see two shows on Broadway. The first show, "After Midnight" I saw with my cousin, Brenda.  It was different, more of a concert style show. There was no story just musical numbers. The music was from the 1930s in Harlem. Dule Hill was the star, along with Fantasia. I am a fan of Dule Hill. He was great, playing the role of a sort of narrator. He did a little singing and dancing but it was clear he was brought in for his star power. Fantasia is apparently from American Idol.

I loved this show! It reminded me of the Alvin Ailey dance company. The production is so aesthetically pleasing you can't help but smile. They coordinate the lights, music, and costumes to give their audience an experience rather than tell a story. It is breathtaking! It is so beautiful! And I don't know what it is about watching black people dance but it is amazing! They are so natural, nothing looks choreographed or mechanical. They are not dancing to the music but instead music appears to be coming out of their bodies, as if the music would stop if they stopped dancing. The singing was so good. They sing like they dance, full of emotion, giving their whole soul to the song.


The Glass Menagerie starred Cherry Jones, Zachary Quinto, Celia Keenan-Bolger, and Brian J. Smith. I was really excited to see this production but unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations. It was more difficult to get swept up in the story. I just wasn't feeling it. Mr. Quinto was the most interesting one to watch. I was not particularly convinced that Ms. Keenan-Bolger had a leg problem. At times I couldn't understand Ms. Jones's lines. While the second half was better than the first I just didn't quite believe the characters were real. The more I study acting the more I realize just how difficult this is, to convince the audience that they are not watching a play but rather watching real people live their lives on stage. It makes me both excited and nervous to pursue my dream of acting.

My friend Brittany and I after the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment