Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Bring It On" Review

Last night my roommates and I bought rush tickets with an obstructed view for the teen musical "Bring It On". I finished work at 7:20 and raced to the theater, scarffing down a hot dog as I quickly tried to make it to the 8pm curtain call. I found my roommates outside finishing their food. We took our "obstructed view" seats which were on the front row and waited for it to start.

I must admit I was not that anxious to see this one. I mean a musical about cheerleading? Really? I never even saw the movie and from what I understood I wasn't missing much. I was shocked when I realized how much I enjoyed the musical. I was completely swept away with the story. I was emotionally involved but why? I have thought and thought about this, here are some of my answers. Maybe it was because the main character wanted something so badly, to win the cheerleading championship. She had a dream. I have dreams, everyone does. We can all relate to that one moment that we look to, work for and dream of. The musical is set in high school of course and deals with fitting in, finding your place. I am obviously still in this phase, trying to find my place in this world, figuring out where I belong. Along with this theme comes the idea of learning who you are and having the courage to be yourself no matter what others say. I deal with these same issues every time I audition or perform. What if I mess up? What if I am myself and they don't like me? Do I really dare be myself? These issues are so scary! I guess it just goes to show that though I am not physically in high school anymore perhaps emotionally I am?!? I know, no big surprise to some of you that know me! But here's hoping that sometime soon I can emotionally graduate from that awful stage of life we call adolescence!

So if I am to be honest I must give "Bring It On" two humble thumbs up! The singing was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed the acting. And of course the tumbling was fantastic! And most of the cast was making their Broadway debut. I was really impressed. Those of you that are past high school might not enjoy it as much as I did but I would still recommend it. And the front row seats are great!

Showing a little S-P-I-R-I-T outside of the Bring It On theater after the show!




No comments:

Post a Comment