Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Nice Work If You Can Get It" Review

Last Thursday night Brenda and I thought we would take advantage of the discounted Broadway tickets and go see a show. Due to Hurricane Sandy many theaters were struggling to fill seats. There were no shows on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday nights. But by Wednesday they were back on. We found a list of shows offering special deals and decided to see "Nice Work If You Can Get It". We sat in the Mezzanine. We had pretty good seats, got an amazing deal but when you get to sit on the front row for other shows you get a little spoiled. After intermission we moved into some empty seats on the front row balcony which were only a little closer but so much better!



This Gershwin musical stars Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara. It is a lovely story of a rich bachelor finding true love. It is set in the 1920's in the midst of prohibition. The script was wonderful. Matthew Broderick was hilarious. We laughed and laughed. The plot is full of mishaps, misunderstandings and mistaken identities. Of course everything gets ironed out into a lovely happily ever after at the end. This is why we love theater, is it not?

I really enjoyed the show but I must admit I was not swept away in it like I was with the others I have seen so far. Maybe it was me, maybe I wasn't in the right mood? Maybe I was analyzing too much, taking notes on what I need to do to be more like Kelli O'Hara. She is a petite blond like me. She has this amazing voice. She sang with such ease and emotion. I loved to listen to her and want to be able to sing just like her. And I was wondering if that was a real cigarette she was smoking at the beginning of the show, knowing that smoking is bad for your voice. It had to be a fake, right? Maybe I was watching the show as a student rather than just an audience member? Oh no! Is this going to happen often?

After the show, one of the older ladies in the show came out to autograph programs. She was fabulous. I am sure she is some big name in Broadway that I would know if I were more educated, alas, I am not. But then Matthew Broderick did come out! He signed my program and took a picture with me. There were only about ten of us waiting. It was late and very cold. He seemed really tired and I overheard him say that his throat hurt. He was probably feeling a bit under the weather. I could not tell on stage. He was great! Nice of him to take time to greet us despite how he felt. After that he just turned to walk home. We followed him down the street. Funny, I thought for sure he would have a car.

Me and Mr. Broderick outside the stage door!

2 comments: