Saturday, January 31, 2015

Grassy Meadows...it's no Thornfield Hall

"I smiled as the driver pulled into the driveway.  On the estate sat a large brick home adorned with windows. Grassy Meadows was situated on the most handsome plot of land.  The grounds were beautiful, and included spacious front yard with a small apple orchard and a swimming pool to the east of the mansion.  Beautiful groves of trees surrounded both sides of the house.  The house was on a hill with a backyard of lush green lawn that sloped down to the road.  At the bottom of the hill was a fence and a road and still further out, a charming lake surrounded by more forest.

Even though the home was large there was a cozy feel to it.  Inside children were full of smiles and the mother was so kind.  We played games and got to know each other over lunch.  The other staff were so friendly and happy.  After lunch more time was spent playing.  Although I had just met them the children seemed to take to me well.  We had a grand time.  Before I left I was showed the guest house, Pine Forest.  This beautiful home, only a short walk from the main house, was where I would live.  It included six rooms, several sitting rooms and two kitchens."

If I were to start a novel about my new job this is how it would begin.  Indeed I feel like I could write a modern version of Agnes Grey.  About two months I ago I left by beloved New York City for a nanny job on Long Island all in the name of saving money for grad school.

Unfortunately, just like Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey things haven't quite turned out the way I thought they would.  First impressions can and will be deceiving.  While there are a few crazies and quite a few ill-tempered people here none of them live in the attic and none are handsome single men. (Darn it!)  Sadly, other parts of my job are also similar to Agnes Grey and Jane Eyre.  As much as I would like to gossip I will refrain from sharing those parts, as I have probably said too much already.

Since writing the paragraphs above I have quitted my post at Grassy Meadows.  Things were not what they seemed.  It was beginning to feel like Downton Abbey, complete with gossiping staff.  I am sad to say the work was not worth money.  Fortunately, it's 2015 and I am free to leave and find another job, which is what I have done! Halellujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment