Monday, September 29, 2014

I know this is supposed to be a blog about acting...but I couldn't resist.

I have spent the past fifteen years working with children and though I am not a parent myself I have learned a few important things. One of these insights in particular, has reconfirmed my decision to be a stay at home mom. The realization is this: kids, especially young ones will ask deep questions at the most random times, often during the routine activities of the day. They just say what they are thinking. You can't schedule important conversations. Though scheduling time with children is important and should be done it doesn't necessarily mean that the child will wait to ask that important question during the appointed time.

Just last week I started a new nanny job. I had only been on the job a few hours when, while playing badminton, the little girl asked me about tattoos and if I had any friends that have them. A deep conversation followed about things such as judging others, making mistakes, our bodies, and what makes a person 'good.' There we were playing badminton having this important conversation when we had only known each other for a few hours!

At my previous job it was during the seemingly mundane activities of the day that we had our most important conversations. We discussed honesty, expressing our emotions, and being genuine while riding the bus. Walking through the city we talked about being ourselves and why we don't necessarily want to be like everyone else. During these moments that I felt sad because I knew that ideally these were conversations meant for parent and child, not nanny and child. I was sad for her mother knowing that she was missing out on these moments.

I also believe there are no such things as routine activities with children. You are not just washing dishes, just playing cars, or just reading stories. You are building relationships with your kids, being there ready and willing to answer any question they have just like Heavenly Father is with us. We can pray to him at anytime day or night and he will hear and answer us. I just want to be as available to my children as Heavenly Father is to his.

I know a mother can't be there 100% of the time and I don't necessarily think she should be, after all I think it is good for mothers to pursue their own interests and hobbies. I am simply stating that you can't plan when a young child will want to discuss something important. The mother that chooses to work has to realize that she will be missing out on such conversations with her children. I also know it takes a village to raise a child which is why it is important to have good teachers at school and church and good nannies. I am grateful for the opportunities I have had to teach and love so many children over the past ten years. I have learned so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment