Sunday, November 10, 2013

Despite what you think I am closer to my dream than I was a year ago.

I have been in New York City fourteen months now. I have taken acting classes, dance classes, singing lessons, private coaching, and a couple of workshops. I have attended numerous auditions (though not as many as I could have) and still no luck. I am told it takes years. This is fine with me, after all the only thing I do have is time. But some of you naysayers (I am also talking to the loud negative voice in my own head!) might be wondering if it has been worth it. I wanted to take a moment and explain why I am closer to my dream now than I was a year ago.

There are the obvious reasons that I have already mentioned such as all of the classes and auditions in which I have participated. I have learned so much by doing all of these things. My knowledge has increased by leaps and bounds. Plus, I have seen many, many Broadway shows. I am educating myself, watching good and some bad theater. I am soaking it in, getting a clearer vision of what I want to do.

A few months ago I went to a play date with my charge. We entered the house and when I turned my head I saw five Emmy awards sitting on the shelf. I was amazed. The boy's father writes for a famous TV show. I sat and chatted with him for a good hour. It was just nice to rub shoulders with someone that is doing it. He is living his dream, doing what he loves and experiencing success. It is so easy to get discouraged with rejection after rejection but it gave me great hope to visit with him. It does happen. My dream can come true! And some of his success is bound to rub off, right?

I love this city. It is full of energy and excitement. Everyone has a dream and they are going after it. I love being around people like this; it makes me feel less crazy. I am not the only one with hopes and dreams but one of many who are searching, striving to make their mark in the world. I love being here. This kind of energy has fueled me, helped me to not give up. There is always hope, always possibility.

These are the reasons that although there are no tangible results I believe with all of my heart that I am closer to reaching my dream than I was year ago. So knowing this I must deem this past year a sweet success! I have nothing but enthusiasm for the years to come!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about you, so I'm glad to see how you are doing! Wishing you well in your continued ventures. You are an incredible woman!

    ReplyDelete