Saturday, October 19, 2013

Days 3 and 4 of musical workshop

Wednesday night we worked with a casting director named Scott. He was very nice, professional and demanding. I must admit I got a little nervous listening to him describe his disappointing stories about bringing people in for directors and then watching them crash and burn! Um, okay, no pressure!

I sang "There's a Fine, Fine Line" from Avenue Q. It went well. He said I needed to stop listening to my voice and act, be in the moment. Apparently, I can't rock either (been trying to break that habit for awhile now) and he said I need to smile and find the joy in the piece. Smile? Really, while I am so nervous?!? No, they were all good comments, heard them all before.

Then I sang "Far From the Home I Love" from Fiddler on the Roof. Before I started he shared that this is one of his favorite songs. Oh goodie, now I am not nervous! It went well. This one is easier for me to sing than the other one. He did say I had a beautiful voice and that I didn't need to listen to it. He helped me think about the lyrics and the character, suggested I needed to make it more personal. I agree with everything he said. He was kind and said he hoped to see me again soon!

Thursday night we worked with Michael. He was also very kind and easy to work with. He said I needed a new head shot (they have all said this). I just got my hair cut and when I get it highlighted I will get a new headshot. He said I was prettier and younger than I look in my photo. How nice! I never want it to be the other way around. After singing my three songs for him he pointed out that I get in my own way. Hum, I have never thought that before! That is the story of my life! How do I fix this, get over my nerves? I actually asked him. He said you kind of just have to say f&*$ it and do it! I have heard those words many times. Now all I need is the courage to do it! Something to pray for...

I sang "Hopelessly Devoted to You" from Grease for my first song. This one is more difficult vocally and I had never sang it for anyone so I was nervous but I received some good instructions that included singing with my water bottle as a microphone and dancing in front of the mirror. This was silly and embarrassing but definitely helped me loosen up. After this I sang it standing still and it was much better than the first time. Oh so much to learn!

I sang "I'll Know" from Guys and Dolls next. I love this song and it sits well in my voice. I let loose and sang. Michael was sincerely impressed with my voice especially since the previous song didn't really show off my voice. He did a couple of double takes while listening. It was really fun to see him so pleasantly surprised! I don't know how many people have to tell me before I start believing that I have a good voice and can actually sing!

Because of extra time we got to sing a third song, I sang "My New Philosophy" from You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. After I sang it Michael said that he usually doesn't like this song but that he actually enjoyed it that time. Score! He and Rance gave me a few suggestions, which involved walking around the room like a crazy person, and I sang it again. It went better this time of course. I still need to work on my poses and energy for this song, lots to do. But I do like the song so it shouldn't be too hard to put the effort into it. My vocals were much better Thursday, Michael did say I could sing. I did this song on Tuesday night and the acting was much better but boy I rarely hit a note or beat. But one thing at a time.

Nerves. I must overcome them! Michael pointed out that when I am in control and confident in the audition room the auditors can relax because they know I have it under control but if I am nervous it makes them nervous and they aren't sure if I can do what I want to do.

It was a great workshop. I am glad I did it. It is really helpful for me to perform every night. My nerves are so much calmer that fourth night. Two auditions next week! Wish me luck and confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment