Saturday, May 4, 2013

Musical Reviews

About three weeks ago I had two of my cousins and a good friend here to visit. We had a fabulous time. I'll definitely be posting pictures later. While they were here we went to see a couple of shows, which I must review of course.

Saturday afternoon we went to see Jekyll & Hyde. My cousin Jessica, roommate Karen and I, all sat in the back balcony for the first act and then moved closer for the second act. I read the book years ago so I don't really remember which parts are true to the book. The musical was good. The singing was very good. The music is good. There a few really famous songs in the show. I love the song, "Someone Like You". The acting was alright. They did a nice job. The story is dark. I did not feel myself drawn into the story, empathizing with the characters all that much. Of course, this is why I go to the theater to feel something, to experience what the characters are going through. I didn't really get that in this show. It was amazing though, the sets, costumes, and singing. The music was also really, really loud. When we moved up for the second act I had to sit with my ears plugged in order to enjoy the show. I was in the balcony and it was blasting. But I do have sensitive ears, often plugging them as the subway roars by.

Monday night we went to see Newsies. This was my second time seeing the show. I sat in the balcony this time. I must admit I prefer the middle orchestra seats I had the first time. The production was great. I loved the dancing and singing. I was not as impressed with the acting this time even though most of the cast was exactly the same. I was less caught up in the story this time. Maybe it was because this was my second time and I was just noticing different things. Even with all of that said I left thinking, I have to see it again! I have more family coming in June so maybe that will be possible! The story is just so positive and inspirational. I love it! It is a must see for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see the Newsies! I loved that movie... jealous!

    ReplyDelete