Saturday, May 4, 2013

Audition attempts & other random thoughts

Last  Wednesday I went to the auditions for the touring company of Wicked. Oh, how I would love to be in that musical. I got up early and sat in line for two hours. It was an "Equity Chorus Call" which means they audition all of the equity or union performers first and then if they have time they see those that are not a part of the union, i.e. me. Wicked is a popular show, knowing this I went early to make sure I was on the non-equity list (sometimes they just have time to see the first 30 or so, on the non-equity list). But because Wicked is so popular (lol, I have the song running through my head now) all of the equity performers were there. Anyway, after sitting for two hours we were told that they would only have time to see equity performers today. Ugh! Really? Well, it was a nice thought. Maybe next time.

It is always nerve racking to sit and wait hours before you perform. I don't like it. I want to sing and practice but I am sitting with a hundred other performers so it isn't really the place for that. I just sit and wait and read. I just finished reading "Rita Moreno: A Memoir". She is the actress who won an Oscar for her role as Anita in the film West Side Story. It was an interesting read. It didn't contain quite as much about acting as rather more about her relationships. I guess this should not be surprising considering it is not so much what we do that gives us satisfaction as it is our relationships. They are what give life purpose.

Anyway, Ms. Moreno talks about the voice in her head that kept saying she wasn't pretty enough or wasn't smart enough, wasn't a good enough dance, didn't belong in Hollywood, etc. The thing that annoyed me in the book was I felt like she talked about the voice as if it was unique to her and nobody knows what it's like. Hello! We all have that voice in our head, Ms. Moreno. It is not unique to you! Knowing this I wish she would have spent more time explaining how she overcame this voice, how she got rid of it. Maybe she just learned to deal with it. Maybe it never goes away, maybe I just have to learn how to ignore it. I would like to read the book that answers these questions. Anyone know where I can find such a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment