Sunday, March 10, 2013

Back to my blog and auditioning

It has been months since I last posted. I must apologize to my three followers. I was...busy but not really. Well, I did lose my job. This did cause some stress and soul-searching, ah heck, I am always doing the soul-searching! Thankfully, I found another job as a nanny. I watch a little girl after school, Monday-Friday. She is tons of fun. The job is part time so I am able to attend auditions in the morning and evening. During my unemployment I didn't attend many auditions but I have done a few which I would like to report on.

Phantom of the Opera frequently has auditions for the corps de ballet. I went to this audition in Vegas once. They have you dance on pointe shoes, ballet, I can do this! What was I thinking? I hate pointe shoes! They kill your feet especially when it has been years since you've danced in them. At the audition they announced that they have no current openings they just want to see who is out there? I mean this is ridiculous! Who does job interviews when there is no opening? What is more ridiculous is the fact that 100 girls danced at the audition even though there is no opening. I mean are we desperate or what? Talk about a flooded market! What would have happened had we all walked out? I am just bitter because my feet hurt. I almost left early. It's a strange pride thing, "I must prove to myself that I can do the audition" The stupid thing is that if I got the part I would have to dance on pointe shoes every night. Why would I want to do that? Then why was I there? I am still trying to figure that out. I am not the brightest crayon in the box. The one good thing about that audition was that I got to see my dear friend, Deanna who is also a dancer.

photo


Reasons to Be Pretty is a play that I auditioned for a couple of weeks ago. Brenda, my manager came with me. I went and read lines from the play. I did it. It was awkward. I felt like a little kid auditioning for the NBA. At least I tried? I am not sure that is what you would say to the kid trying to get into the NBA but I did try. You would probably tell them to keep practicing. This is what I'll do. I am excited to start another acting class in a few weeks! Training and more training is what I need!

The Little Mermaid was my next audition. They wanted us to do a ballet combination in our flat shoes, no pointe shoes! Can there be anything better? Plus, they were casting for Starlight Theater in KC, MO. I could be near my sister! I was excited. Again, my friend Deanna was there. We did our little combination, which I thought I did very well and then I was dismissed. Darn! As I left I noticed all of the girls that were asked to stay. They all seemed very tall. Oh well, their loss!

Prather Entertainment Group has companies in Pennsylvania and Florida. I am not even sure what shows their seasons consist of but I went anyway. I sang "Raunchy" from 110 in the Shade. It went well. I was nervous as always but I made it through. I might even be getting better at it. I was number 260 on the audition list. When the woman at the desk said I wouldn't be seen until after 3pm I told her I had to be at work at 2:30pm. She kindly moved me up to #60. She was so nice to do that so I could audition.

The Footloose audition was another dance audition. I went over an hour early and was #110 on the list. As I sat there waiting I realized that I didn't want to be there. Do I really want to be on stage dancing every night? Not really so why am I here? When the audition started they announced that they would only have time to see equity dancers which means that the other 200 of us could go home.

My soul-searching has included a lot of pondering on what I want and where I should focus my energy. I don't really want to be dancing on stage. I would rather be acting. Singing is my second choice and dancing is my third choice. So I will focus on acting. I know it seems ridiculous and backwards but that is what I want. Sometimes going after what you want makes the least amount of sense but at the same time isn't that where you will find the most fulfillment?

No comments:

Post a Comment